Metro Briefs: Jan. 23, 2019

Credit to Author: besguerra| Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 20:59:06 +0000

3 suspects killed in alleged shootouts with QC policemen

Three men — two of them alleged robbers and the other a drug suspect — were killed on Monday night by Quezon City policemen in separate operations at Barangays Alicia and Gulod.

As of Tuesday, the Quezon City Police District (QCPD) had yet to identify any of the suspects who were described as around 25 to 30 years old.

Operatives of the QCPD District Special Operations Unit and District Drug Enforcement Unit were conducting a buy-bust operation against the drug suspect at 8:45 p.m. on Cotabato Street, Barangay Alicia, when he became suspicious.


A police report said the suspect pulled out a gun and began shooting at the officers, prompting them to fire back.

Recovered from the suspect were a .45-caliber pistol, a gold necklace, a red watch, a motorcycle and P306,000 worth of “shabu” (crystal meth).

Around three hours later, operatives of the Novaliches police station started investigating a reported robbery that took place earlier in the day in a car parts shop at Barangay Nagkaisang Nayon.

Through the Global Positioning System, the police traced the signal of a cell phone stolen from one of the victims to a supposed hideout on Belen Street, Barangay Gulod.

But instead of surrendering, the suspects drew their firearms and began firing.

Found in their possession were a 9-mm pistol, a .38-caliber revolver, a motorcycle, three cell phones and two sachets of shabu.

Monday night’s operations brought to 7 the number of suspects killed so far this month by Quezon City policemen. —Matthew Reysio-Cruz

Rookie cop arrested for firing gun in road rage incident

A rookie police officer was arrested in Quezon City on Monday night after he allegedly fired his gun during an argument with a motorcycle driver.

PO1 Paul Buban Evaristo was riding his motorcycle on his way home from the Marikina City police station when he swerved in front of the complainant, Juan Abaroa, on Katipunan Avenue.

According to a police report, a “heated altercation” ensued at 10:25 p.m. after the 27-year-old policeman cut off Abaroa who was also driving a motorcycle.

As the two were arguing, Evaristo reportedly took out his service firearm, a 9-mm pistol, from a compartment in his motorcycle.

He fired it downward and then told Abaroa: “Keep going, or I’ll kill you.”

Abaroa, a clerk at an e-commerce company, started driving away but was allegedly pursued by the policeman.

Scared, Abaroa stopped at the barangay hall in Pansol where he asked for help from village watchmen.

When Evaristo caught up with him, he demanded that Abaroa sit on the ground. When Abaroa refused, the policeman once again fired his gun, this time into the air.

Operatives from the Anonas police station soon arrived and arrested Abaroa.

He was charged with grave threats and illegally discharging his firearm which was also confiscated. —Matthew Reysio-Cruz