Gab Marcotti explains why a new deal at Bayern Munich is beneficial for David Alaba and the club. (1:16)
Dortmund and Bayern will play out the Klassiker in early November, and Borussia’s Westfalenstadion will host the Revierderby, the biggest derby in the domestic calendar, between Dortmund and FC Schalke in October.
• Notebook: Mbappe over Ronaldo for PSG
• Pulisic, Rashford up for Prem award
• Liverpool trio up for Prem Player of the Year
• Sources: Auba to pen mega Arsenal deal
• US teen Konrad in Barca squad for UCL
• Bolt: I didn’t get fair chance as footballer
• Barca target Garcia rejects City contract
Traditionally, the Bundesliga champions always start off the new season on a Friday.
However, Bayern’s season opener could be moved to Sept. 21 to allow them more recovery time, should they make it to the Champions League final on Aug. 23.
RB Leipzig and Bayer Leverkusen, who start their season against Mainz and Wolfsburg, respectively, will not have their opening game date changed should either of them qualify for the Champions League or Europa League finals in August.
Due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic and the delayed end of the 2019-20 season, the winter break has been cut short.
The first 13 match days of the 2020-21 season will be played out in 2020 and then resume on Jan. 2 when Bayern will host Mainz and Dortmund will play Wolfsburg.