Craig Burley and Jan Aage Fjortoft predict Manchester United will drop to fourth in the Premier League unless they make significant additions to the roster. (2:38)
Euro 2020 and the Copa America are over and the summer transfer window is open, leaving Europe’s biggest clubs clear to make a splash in the market. Check out the latest gossip below, and see all official deals here.
The 24-year-old has been linked with a move to the Gunners this summer, with two years left on his deal, but the Midlands club want £35 million in transfer fee if they are to let him go.
Neves joined the Molineux outfit in 2017 from FC Porto for around £15m. He helped Wolves gain promotion from the Championship that season and his profile has only risen since then. He has made over 100 appearances in the Premier League and also has Champions League experience from his time at Porto.
Tottenham Hotspur have also been linked with Neves and they could lure him to the club thanks to new boss Nuno Espirito Santo. The Spurs manager was in charge of Wolves when he signed Neves, meaning they could have an advantage in landing the midfielder.
09.41 BST: Arsenal are preparing another move to sign Sheffield United goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale, says TalkSPORT.
Ramsdale, 23, was part of the England squad at Euro 2020 and the Gunners are seeking a reliable backup to No. 1 Bernd Leno.
Sheffield United have already reportedly rejected two bids, and The Times says the club want over £32m from clubs wanting to land Ramsdale.
09.24 BST: Real Madrid winger Eden Hazard has been offered to former club Chelsea, according to AS.
Hazard, 30, has made 43 appearances in all competitions across two seasons due to injury after his €100m move in 2019.
Chelsea have Christian Pulisic, Mason Mount, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Hakim Ziyech, Kai Havertz and Timo Werner who all operate in the forward positions, but could be keen to bring Hazard back if the terms are right.
08.30 BST: Real Madrid’s first summer signing David Alaba has said he would love to play alongside Raphael Varane amid reports the France international defender will leave and join Manchester United.
Varane, whose contract at Bernabeu is due to expire in June 2022, is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s top defensive target and sources have told ESPN that United are closing in on his signing.
“Of course I would love to play with Varane,” Alaba said during his unveiling on Wednesday. “For many years he has played excellent football and not just now. He is a wonderful defender and has great qualities.”
Madrid already lost a defensive stalwart with Sergio Ramos leaving for Paris Saint-Germain as a free agent after 16 years at the club and six seasons as captain.
Alaba has inherited the No. 4 shirt left vacant by Ramos.
“They only had this number available but I know what this number means for the club,” Alaba said. “For me it’s an honour to wear it. I want to honour this number. It really motivates me. It’s a number that represents strength and leadership.”
Alejandro Moreno cautions clubs when looking at which players could be on the market during the summer of 2022.
– Liverpool are interested in West Ham United‘s Jarrod Bowen as Jurgen Klopp looks to bolster his squad in the attacking third. The Athletic reports that the 24-year-old is on the Merseyside club’s radar this summer. The winger, who can play anywhere across the front three, joined the Hammers for roughly £18m from Hull City in January 2020. Any move is said to be dependent on if Klopp can move on squad members Divock Origi and Xherdan Shaqiri. Liverpool are said to be monitoring Bowen’s development beyond this summer if a deal doesn’t materialise.
– Aston Villa are in advanced talks to sign Norwich City playmaker Todd Cantwell, reports Football Insider. The Canaries are reported to value the 23-year-old highly, meaning that Villa would have to put in a significant offer for the player. However, Cantwell only has one year left on his deal, meaning manager Daniel Farke could be forced to move him on rather than lose him on a free. The playmaker can play across the attacking midfield positions but usually on the left for Norwich.
– Leicester City, Southampton and Burnley are all interested in a move for Arsenal’s Ainsley Maitland-Niles, according to BBC Sport. The 23-year-old has been linked with a move away from the Emirates after coming through the youth ranks with the Gunners. Maitland-Niles has nearly 80 appearances in the Premier League, spending last season on loan at relegated West Brom, making 26 appearances.
– Tottenham are pushing to sign Roma midfielder Lorenzo Pellegrini, according to Calciomercato. The 25-year-old only has a year left on his current deal, which would allow him to discuss joining a new club in six months’ time. The midfielder also has a clause in his contract that would allow him to leave for €30m but that expires in just over a week and Spurs aren’t willing to meet that valuation at the moment. The Italy international has a preference to stay with Jose Mourinho’s team beyond the end of next season, but could be willing to leave if improved terms aren’t agreed.
– Aston Villa are eyeing a move for Bayer Leverkusen winger Leon Bailey, reports the Daily Mail. The 23-year-old is valued at around £30m with the club looking to add another wide player to their ranks. The Jamaica international registered 18 goal involvements in 30 Bundesliga appearances last season — his best output since moving to Germany.
– Orlando City SC have confirmed that U.S. international Chris Mueller has signed a pre-contract with an unnamed European side. Mueller, 24, will remain with the MLS side until the end of the season before moving on to his new club. Orlando did not identify where Mueller will go next but reports have said clubs in Belgium and Scotland were eyeing the winger.