Duterte names NBI officer-in-charge
Credit to Author: The Manila Times| Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 07:00:30 +0000
PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has appointed National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Assistant Director Eric Distor as the agency’s new officer-in-charge (OIC), Malacañang confirmed on Wednesday.
In a press conference, Palace spokesman Salvador Panelo said the designation of Distor to temporarily lead the NBI was made following the retirement of its Director Dante Gierran this February.
“There’s a new officer-in-charge of the National Bureau of Investigation following the retirement of Director Gierran. It’s Mr. Eric Distor Bito-on Distor, officer-in-charge of the Office of the Director, National Bureau of Investigation,” Panelo told reporters.
“(Distor’s appointment is) effective February 23, until a replacement is approved or until otherwise decided by the Office of the Executive Secretary,” he added.
Prior to his new designation, Distor served as assistant director for intelligence service of the NBI. He previously led the NBI Internal Affairs Services.
Gierran, a lawyer and former NBI regional director for the Davao Region, had served as the agency’s chief since his appointment in 2016.
Under Republic Act 10867 that reorganized and modernized the bureau, the NBI director must be a natural-born citizen of the country and a lawyer for 15 years, preferably from within the ranks of directors.
The NBI director, to be appointed by the President, will have a rank, salary, and benefits equivalent to that of an Undersecretary. CATHERINE S. VALENTE